Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Well, I've got some good news and some bad news (the good news is new Burial!)


Well... within the last two weeks we've seen two massive positive changes in the music industry. First, obvs, Radiohead put out an album for ______ amount of money (which was huge)... then, whether you care or not, NIN decided to potentially go the same route in the future and are now sans-label. Both fucking awesome things to hear.

Then yesterday after a lot of moving forward in the digital realm... we all fell backwards.

Oink's Pink Palace was raided and closed yesterday. What is/was it you ask? It was an invite only place where pre-release (or even pre-mastered in some cases) material was leaked, which would then trickle down to say a blog like this where someone like me might post one track from the album (in hopes of promoting it not ruining anyone's life). It was VERY tight lipped and, I won't lie, I tried for MONTHS in vain attempting to secure an invite. Problem is, between that lady who got slammed with the $222,000 fine, and this, the digital world is going to be walking around with their tail between their legs. My fav spot fuk.co.uk closed yesterday (well its 'yousendit.com' thread, which was where people posted links to music new and old alike) and I think we are going to see more and more of these shutdowns over the next few weeks. After years and years of "us" (the record *or non-record* buying public, depending which side of the fence you are on) getting to run around the candy shop uninterrupted... it may be over.

Now I've posted this little rant a million fucking times on various forums but let's have a little go again... I buy records. I buy vinyl records every fucking Friday. Usually a stack of singles and then one or two new releases. I also buy CDs at Best Buy (just bought the Kenna album.. you gotta go buy that shit, that album is amazing) and at my local little cd shop (which is actually a CD Warehouse but it has that nice 'small record shop feel'; for example they recently had a Joy Division 'Warsaw' bootleg on sale). IF I WANT A COPY OF AN ALBUM (such as Alpha- "Come From Heaven") that I used to have and have since lost and CANNOT FIND TO SAVE MY FUCKING LIFE IN ANY RETAIL OUTLETS, I should be able to download that shit for free! Sorry Alpha, I love you, but I'm not buying your album twice! I've had to do that a million times between 1991-2003. Then I stopped and started downloading. Point is... I used to own that and I should have made a digital copy, but anyway you cut it I paid for that album.

NOW... there are are albums I have downloaded before they came out (Bloc Party, Fiona Apple, Justice, Simian Mobile Disco, Lady Sovereign, etc) and I immediately went out and bought those motherfuckers the first week they came out. Why? Because I wanted to hear their album, I got it three months earlier, I liked it and I know they will lose money... I bought it! And I have seen all of those bands (minus Justice) in the last year and a half. BOTTOM LINE HERE... Am I a criminal if I download someone's album? No. Unless I don't end up buying it... then I'm a criminal and an asshole. Just in case you didn't know guys even major acts aren't making SHIT because of all the downloading (that's why the RIAA is out for blood... I mean, not the artist's money but theirs), so you sure as shit can't think that downloading that new Boys Noize or Bangers & Cash, and then not buying a copy is ok... IT'S FUCKING NOT! That's bullshit!

How would you like it if motherfuckers ran up in your job and stole a bunch of shit that you were working on to make you money and left you with nothing... then they never even bothered to say hi or reimburse you or apologize or nothin'. You'd be walking around with an AK-47 trying to find these people.

THE BOTTOM LINE FINAL POINT IS: download music. If you like it buy it. Don't be a punk fucking bitch and prove the RIAA right by not purchasing anything. You're fucking yourself and you're fucking Spank Rock, and LCD Soundsystem and all these people you "admire". Eventually we will start missing out on innovative amazing music because motherfuckers can't AFFORD to be musicians. The next Kurt Cobain will just end up being a dishwasher at Dennys... think about that one HARD...

Now that I've gone ape shit how about some music to lighten the mood? Well actually the music might make you want to slit your wrists but it's great! I got it from Ill-ec-tro-nic, so I'm totally just stealing but I wanted to post something that would make people take notice of what's going on... and promote Burial. COP THAT SHIT NOVEMBER 5th!

Here's the Burial track list... make sure to buy a copy from Hyperdub OR you can probably get it at THE BEST PLACE TO GET MUSIC... eMusic! Show them the system works kids... thanks, and bless you all who buy records...

Burial- "Etched Headplate"

Burial- "Etched Headplate" YSI

Burial- "Near Dark"

Burial- "Near Dark" YSI

1. Untitled
2. Archangel
3. Near Dark
4. Ghost Hardware
5. Endorphin
6. Etched Headplate
7. In McDonalds
8. Untrue
9. Shell Of Light
10. Dog Shelter
11. Homeless
12. UK
13. Raver


3 comments:

qorksqrew said...

i wonder if those are positive things, and if that is a negative thing.
i'm thinking the 2 so called positive things are results of negative things.
it's neat outside....

croft said...

that's a damn shame about the fuk yousendit forum, there was always good stuff on there. a couple of other forums i go on regularly have been pulled today - there's a definite crackdown happening.
don't listen to that loser, we all know it's neat outside but you can't get quality, easily accessible music there.

imontheinternet.net said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Podcast