Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Clear ear space for Air Traffic...


So my dear friends over at Astralwerks recently turned me on to one of their recent releases that is bound to bring out cadre of Radiohead fans that miss "The Bends" era, and all the Muse fans that, well, like Muse lol... there's about 10,000 other comparisons I could use though and none of them would be fair... but Air Traffic, have just released 'Fractured Life' and trust me it's going to be that album where you're like "Yeah, I told you they were the new ______"... I've given you my first impression association... you give me yours... here's some background...

"Air Traffic are an English indie rock band from Bournemouth. The band's name originates from when they used to practice next to a runway at Hurn Airport, where air traffic control signals could be picked up on their amplifiers.[1] Their music features heavy use of piano, and they have been described by NME to be like "Supergrass covering Little Richard".[2] The band have received mainstream success due to the re-release of their single "Charlotte", and the release of their debut album, Fractured Life."

Here's the song they won't sue me for posting but I hope that it excites you enough to go out and buy a physical copy... seriously though, Astralwerks are one of the last labels that deserve blind brand loyalty despite having changed their format a little... every album they put out is ace really and they bring most of the good music from across the pond to the U.S... I mean, yeah it weirded me out to see Babyshambles on what had been a primarily electronic label, but it made me realize Astralwerks are America's XL Records (or equivalent thereof). Look at their track record... seriously I'm a lifer...

Air Traffic- "Come On" YSI

Air Traffic- "Come On"

For whatever reason the embedding is disabled (any reason for that guys?) so you're just going to have to trust me when I say you should check out the video for Charlotte...

Check out the whole Air Traffic album at Spinner (via AOL)...
Air Traffic, 'Fractured Life' album stream on Spinner

Also, on a totally different subject, if you've been dying to get away from that water mark, check out a stream of the new AMAZING album from Arcadia favourites Hot Chip over at Spinner...
Hot Chip, 'Made In The Dark' album stream on Spinner

And on the streaming tip... Dev from Test Icicles (who have been retired for about what 2 years now?) released a Bright Eyes-esque solo album as Lightspeed Champion that is really awesome... you should totally check it out... even though he's an American... because a) he used to be in a Britband and b) it's awesome and c) he worked on material in Grand Rapids (where I'm actually going tomorrow). Maybe if you leave comments I'll dig out some of his demos?!?!

Lightspeed Champion, 'Falling Off The Lavender Bridge' album stream on Spinner

Anyway, hope you dug this. I've got some posts I want to do for my new friends and I also want to do a post on Cage the Elephant because I haven't thus far lol... so keep the eyes and ears peeled... until next time...


No comments:

Podcast