Sunday, February 10, 2008

Everybody gotta work it out... Herve gives you 'Cheap Thrills'...


Me in a bad jean-short/visor/sweat-soaked-combo with my friend the legendary Larry Tee

SO here's a fun post where I get to tell you guys about a great memory. I mean a great memory. And I get onto Herve starting his own label... Trust me it will all tie together...

Ok. For those of you who have been reading for the last year, you may remember me telling you about all the fun that was had in Miami during the Winter Music Conference... alas, I will not be going this year, BUT all the awesome shit that happened last year makes up for it.

SOOOOOOO... the last day of the 'conference', Sunday, was a pretty down day. My partner was totally worn out from the whole week and not trying to deal with the world. I had some new found friends call me out to kick it at Remix Hotel insuring me they had badges lying around and I wouldn't have to pay. At the end of the afternoon I found myself standing on Collins waiting for Anya (aka Womso... the only girl I've never slept with who almost ended my relationship doing nothing!) to come out and get me because there was a SUPER long line (she was waiting to come out when she knew she could sneak booze back in)... while I'm standing there waiting my buddy Curt Autobot (of Flosstradamus fame) just happens to walk down the street after having just flown from SXSW...

...so I tap him on the shoulder and he's like "Yeah, dude, I'm so wiped. We've just been moving non-stop. Josh (J2K of Floss) got stranded at some airport, I just met MSTRKRFT like two seconds ago and was too tired to talk, and I'm fucking starving. Everything is just too intense right now and I feel like shit. I gotta get something to eat... walk and talk." So we walk a few blocks down some really crowded area I didn't know existed (really how much of Miami, or rather South Beach, do you see when you go to WMC?) he runs into some people and I begin to feel a little out of place...

...see, Curt and I came up in the same town in Michigan, played the same weird ass warehouses, both went to school in Chicago at the same time, and even worked on songs together for a while... as in we were close enough that I stayed at his house while my roomie and I were finding a place in Chicago... but eventually I moved out of the Chi, which is one of the things that caused us to stop talking/working/hanging out together (we reconnected at Intonation Festival right before Flossy D BLEW UP)... but if you find a copy of my first demo you'll find that Curt's the first person I thank... but frankly you're never gonna find that unless well I dunno you're Larry Tee, or Errol formerly of Astralwerks, but I think I retrieved all the other existing copies!

...so anyway, here I am with my newly anointed "international-jetset-superstar-dj" buddy (he was on the cover of URB that month) walking with his friends I totally don't know and I start to feel weird. I mean REAL weird. He, although very tired, keeps trying to engage me in conversation and I start to become more and more uneasy. I release he's headed somewhere NICE and here I am, Midwestern Retard, dressed in a wifebeater, a black visor, JEAN SHORTS (which trust me I have since given up), sweating like a crack whore in a sauna from nervousness/heat...

...and we arrive at, exactly as I thought, a fucking really nice cafe! And I hesitantly walk in with him ...and I feel the air conditioning hit me and I'm like thinking "Ok, maybe I can hang. I just need to relax." So, the hostess takes us to a table that seats about 12... I can see most of the people have been sitting for a little while, and there are two seats left! Sweet right? So, Curt sits down and I go to join him BUT I suddenly look up and see Naeem Juwan at the other side of the table... I mean, that's probably what you'd call him if you knew him well like Curt does... but to me, my sweaty stupid looking Midwestern ass is staring at Spank Rock... and despite having met him two nights previous at the Turntable Lab party, I knew I couldn't sit around and chill with someone whose CD I listen to like every fucking day... no seriously, I'm man enough to admit I couldn't hang! I was in over my head... Now Benny Blanco is apparently trying to fuck my ex-girlfriend seeing as she "accidentally" sends me emails about it all the time but I digress (I guess go gettem Benny!)...

So I immediately bail and find a slew of mean text messages from Anya about how I left her in line and she saw me walking off and how I was a motherfucker for making her come out for nothing... she was REALLY pissed. I hauled ass back to the Remix Hotel gig and we all danced like retards... or at least I did... I was wearing an inflatable duck on my head...

Then blah blah blah we went to this Oakenfold thing and got past the wait, which despite the fact I don't care for him anymore was really fucking cool to bypass a three hour wait and a velvet rope! PROBLEM was Anya didn't have her ID... I mean I dunno??!? She's Russian! I don't know how that all works... but she couldn't come in with us... so I was there for like 10 minutes and declared "I gotta go to downtown Miami. My friend Curt is playing down there. I'll see you guys next year!"

And off I went. Patrick and Anya drove me to a corner where I knew I could catch a bus and that was that. I took the bus downtown and walked to the venue. It was REALLY fucking tiny and both Curt and Pase Rock were playing... there were like maybe 20 people there and I could tell both of them were like "Who fucking roped me into playing this place on a Sunday night in Miami?"... I went to talk to Curt but he was going on and... what was I going to do? Hang out with Pase Rock? Nope nope nope nope... I listen to Five Deez and his solo shit quite a bit so that's not happening. Some people I can do that with and some people I can't (that's kind of where this story is heading). So I stand in a corner and slowly make my way backwards to the bar. I figured "Hey, I'm gross, out of place, still wearing an ill advised beater and a visor, and I probably just need to go home. Just like earlier. Blah."

So I depart from this bar that is JUST far away from the bus station to be scary. There are literally crack heads walking around like zombies and then start coming closer to me. Every time I look over my shoulder they get closer, every time I speed up so do they! As I think I'm about to get dragged into the crackhead underworld a silver two door comes speeding up to my side, the door flings open and who is it other than my mentor Larry Tee!

He says "Do you know where Karu & Y is?", without even looking up at me.

To which I said "Larry, I'll get you there but you've got to take me with you!"

When he looked up and saw it was me, he leaned forward, I jumped in the back of the two door and we ran off to this club...

...which was the greatest thing ever because Larry didn't play which meant we got to hang out all night. Top five best nights of my life ever and I was totally sober. Amazing. I could tell you all about it again but I think I did last year.

Anyway, it comes time for the night to end and Kevin (Larry's friend and assistant) drops Larry off, and then goes to drop my ass of (because it's SO not safe to take the bus that late). Kevin turns to me and says "Have you heard the song?"

"What song?"

"Have you heard the song he did with Concetta? Off Larry's Sampler that he gave you?" (FYI: Concetta is Princess Superstar)

"Well, no, because he just gave me I copy. He hasn't had them on him all week because I always see him when he's relaxing or it's the end of the night."

"Holy fuck. You have to hear this..."

AND THIS LADIES AND GENTLEMEN IS WHERE THE STORY TIES BACK TO HERVE! We're driving down the highway at god-knows-what-o-clock and I'm hearing "Gettin' low low on the ground" thinking "Awwww fuck. This is why Larry is a fucking genius." And then Kevin goes "Hold on, I gotta turn it up." And then I hear...

"L-i-Licky-c-k-Licky-y-L-i-Licky-c-Licky-k-y"

AND THEN A BASS LINE AND A SYNTH THAT MAKE THE EARTH SHAKE. Which of course resulted in my jaw hitting the floor. And Kevin goes "I know right? This is the Herve remix... it's so fucking good". That drive back to my hotel on 72nd was fucking amazing... best WMC ever... how can you top moments like that? I waltzed into the hotel at like 5am and said "Hey, Electroboy, guess what you just missed out on?"... (FYI: Electroboy is Larry's nickname for Sam)... and, of course, he knew he realllllly missed out... especially if my lame ass is coming home at 5am because I'm usually in bed by 10pm lol...

When he finally got to hear the Herve remix the next day we were like "How did we ever end up in the position where we have a copy of this before everyone else?"... sometimes you're just lucky I guess...

AND today my friends you are luck too because I'm gonna get you hooked up with some good shit fer reals... here's the info on Herve's new label...

New label launched by Joshua ‘Hervé' Harvey aka The Count

Featuring new releases by all the alter ego’s and new talent including Action Man, Voodoo Chilli and Detboi

The Count & Sinden’s “Beeper” released in the UK on Domino Records on 24th March 2008

The Count & Sinden debut album out in summer 2008

www.MySpace.com/hervespace

www.MySpace.com/thecountofmontecristal


Maybe this is "DJ snobby" of me but errrr hasn't "Beeper" been the hottest shit on wax for 12 months? How is it JUST getting released? PLEASE tell me this doesn't have to do with red tape from Star Trak (seeing as the vocal is from a FamLay song... I jumped on his back once... but that's a different story for a different place... it's been easier to explain that story since the "Beeper" song came out)... still just as hot 12 months later though...

ANYWAY... here's the goods kiddo... I tried to keep it as British as possible... so here's a Herve remix of the Chemical Brothers that is fucking soooooooo sick... from 2:30 on it's like a weird Prince song and then the drums are sooooo fucking dope....

Chemical Brothers- "The Salmon Dance (Herve Remix)

And here's a mini mix Herve would like you to have... enjoy.....

The Count of Monte Cristal EP 2 Martelo Mini Mix

So see.. there, you got a fun story where I make an ass out of myself multiple times and we get to hear one of the greatest songs like ever... you wanna hear the Larry Tee song? Go to his Myspace and buy the damn thing... or swap that new Steve Aoki because it's on there with Santogold rapping... I'm not giving it to you for free... sorry kids... hotness... see you soon...


No comments:

Podcast